How I Work
Good process is everything.
At the start of the project, we'll get together to discuss your goals and how a website can help achieve them.
I'll ask questions like:
- How do your clients describe you?
- Tell me more about your goals. What do you want a website to do for your business?
- How do your clients change? Where do they start and where do they finish?
- If we were to be celebrating a successful website strategy in 12 months time, what would that have to look like?
This phase also involves research, review of existing marketing materials, and planning the duration of the project calendar.
Once we have a deep sense of your goals and identity, it's time to start thinking about content. Content is king. I can do content for you, or you can handle it in-house.
Either way, I'll put together a draft sitemap that lays out all of the web pages and how they'll logically fit together. You'll be invited to provide input and revisions here.
Then I'll build an early prototype version of the website—which is essentially an un-designed, functional version of your website with dummy text and placeholder images. This allows us to take a deep, hard look at the user experience without being distracted by colors, typography, etc.
In this phase, we'll explore questions like:
- Does the navigation make sense?
- Can each target audience quickly find the answers to their questions?
- Do the features work as you expected?
- Can users seamlessly get from one page/section to the next without hitting dead ends? And so on…
Once we've finalized the prototype and content, then it's time to dig into the design and code. I create a design that communicates the emotions you want to convey to your target audience—e.g. safe and secure, innovative and exciting, etc.
Then I build the full-functioning website on the WordPress platform so you'll be able to easily update your content once we're done.
At the end of this phase, I'll present your new site for you and your team to review.
Design + Code
Revisions + Launch
Most projects include two rounds of revisions, where you and all stakeholders can list out any changes/requests you have.
After the revisions have been completed, I'll run through the pre-launch checklist to make sure everything is ready.
Finally, on your cue, we launch your site to the world!
After launch, most projects include 30 days of free support and maintenance. During this time, we'll train you on how to update your website content and make sure you have a good grasp on things. Then you'll be invited to optionally subscribe for one of our Website Care Plans if you want us to continue to keep your site secure, updated, and maintained. Otherwise we'll hand the site over to you to manage on your own.